SEED TECH is a Sierra Leonean Agro Dealer Company registered and based in Sierra Leone. It was established in 2001 by a group of promising Sierra Leoneans both at home and abroad to meet agricultural and food security needs. Agriculture is the largest sector accounting for over 40% of the Sierra Leone’s economy. It also employs over 70% of the country’s population who largely depend on food imports. The sector is fraught with serious challenges including poor technology – tools, machinery, seeds etc., poor soil ecologies and agricultural practices. As a result, crops yields and overall productivity have remained very low over the last several decades hence the country is unable to feed and sustain itself.
Aim & Objectives
The aims and objectives of SEED TECH Include:
- Enhanced farmers’ capacity through production and supply of high quality and high yieldingvariety seeds and planting materials and high quality tools.
- Farmers empowered by improving their living conditions and providing them good market opportunities.
- Farmers encouraged to be versatile in farming and become self-reliant.
- Adequate and effective support guides to farmers/communities for maximum production provided.
- Job opportunitiescreated for rural women and youths and rural-urban drift minimized
- Farmers encouraged to take farming as a business and a noble profession.
- High quality and certified seeds, tools, planting materials and seedlings marketed.
- Free technical advice on agriculture and environmental protection, provided to NGOs, Farmers and Interested communities in collaboration with Sierra Leone Environmental Protection Agency and Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Food Security.
Since the establishment of SEED TECH farmers have benefited directly and indirectly as follows:
- Good pricing system
- Ready market and ease in transportation of their produce
- Access to improved high yielding Seeds, Planting materials, Tools and Seedlings.
- Provide pre and post-harvest training to targeted farmers in its operational communities.
Growth & Sustainability Considerations
The context in which SEEDTECH operates is reflective of the reality in a number of countries, especially in the West Africa sub-region and elsewhere in Africa. The Company therefore has the long-term ambition to grow its operations within the wider West Africa Sub-region and elsewhere in Africa as part of its growth and sustainability agenda. SEEDTECH considers this to be critical given the future aspirations of all African governments as spelt out in the Malabo Declaration and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). SEEDTECH will therefore continue to work in partnership with private and public entities including local communities, governmental and intergovernmental agencies, and global organizations.